The bad boys that do the heavy lifting and stabilizing of your garage door are the torsion springs.
They’re critical to the process, and they can be a little bit temperamental. We recommend an annual maintenance of your entire system to keep opening and closing a smooth process. Here’s a little question and answer session from us at Affina Door Company to help you take care of those springs.
• I have a broken spring. Can I replace it myself? Possibly, but not recommended. It’s a big job for all but the most experienced DIYer, as it involves the springs, bearings, and the proper tension. Best left to the pros at Affina.
• How do I know a spring is broken? You can’t always see the break at first glance. Most doors weigh between 150 to 250 pounds and without working springs, the garage door opener cannot lift the door. Attempting to use a garage door opener to lift a garage door with a broken spring can cause numerous parts on the opener to break. Whenever a spring breaks, the door will not go up. And that’s when you call Affina.
• Is the spring at risk when it’s opening the door? Garage door springs have the most tension with the door in the down position.
Problems? You know who to call. It’s Affina Door Company!
Garage doors are tough and strong, but that doesn’t mean they can go without a little love and care.
With a motor, springs, and rollers, your garage door and opener comprise a mechanism that hoists and lowers upwards of 225 pounds for a double door with the click of a button. Like any similar device, a garage door and motor require maintenance – the kind of maintenance and attention you get from Affina Door Company and its professional staff.
Your door and motor should be serviced twice a year. Lubrication of rollers, hinges, and springs keeps parts moving smoothly. The weather seal and bottom seal also need a periodic look. And we’ll make sure your gear drive is doing its job moving that door up and down, while paying attention to the belt or chain
When the system needs some TLC, you will likely know it. If the operation of the door is no longer smooth or unusual sounds catch your attention, it is certainly time for a look-see by our experienced and qualified technicians. Other problems can emanate from an unbalanced door and failure of the automatic reverse. We’ll make sure the door operates properly and at the right speed.
Our knowledge and experience, along with our dedicated team, is what sets Affina Door Company apart from our competitors. We would love to work with you the next time you are looking for service and/or installation of garage doors and gates. Contact us for a free consultation and quote.
Here’s something you don’t hear often: If you do this right, you will probably never have to do it again.
What are we talking about? Replacing your garage door.
Most people don’t pay a lot of attention to their garage door as long as it opens and closes at the push of a button. What a great convenience these automated systems have become and what a pleasure it is to have safety and security at one’s home. But sometimes a new door is necessary.
A quality garage door can last for many years. It should be strong and durable. As it is likely a one-time deal to replace it, it makes good sense to avoid a cheap replacement and to invest a little time in getting this job done right.
Affina Door Company offers you the type of sales, installation, and service you want. And we have a few tips for you as you consider the best way to replace your garage door:
• Stay away from wood doors. They require a lot of maintenance to maintain their shiny look, given their exposure to the weather. If you like the look of wood, a garage door with a composite overlay or fiberglass skin can give you that, plus the durability you want.
• Get your quote in-person. Even though many neighborhoods build to standard sizes, homes can settle. There may be some size and shape issues detectable to a pro. Remember that this may be once in a lifetime. Let’s get it right! And let’s get it from Affina.
The great Judy Garland had a hit with “Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart” and many others (The Coasters, Rufus Wainwright) have covered this jazzy number.
Anyone with a motorized garage door knows the other version: “Bang! Went the Springs of My Door.”
The springs (or single spring, depending on the size of your garage door) provide the muscle and stability of your door. There’s a lot of tension involved in holding a 225-pound door steady as it glides up and down. Usually, for just a few extra bucks, you can not only replace but upgrade the springs.
Garage doors generally use torsion springs. These coiled pieces can usually be found above the door and they’re strong, but not without a lifespan. The average torsion spring is rated for about 10,000 cycles, give or take. Sounds like a massive amount of openings and closings, doesn’t it?
Consider this, though. If you open and close the garage door six times a day, which is a good general average, 10,000 cycles provide a little less than five years of service. Spending an extra $50-100 when you must replace the spring or when you buy a new garage door will get you a spring rated for 20,000 cycles. That’s twice the expected life and less than the cost of a service call.
Good maintenance helps your springs stay healthy. Affina Door Company can help you with that care and with replacement of springs and doors. Call us today for your repair and sales needs!
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!